i originally heard about this meal from Ree Drummond of The Pioneer Woman when i was watching her show on the foot network.
and thought….yum…that sounds good. so i went to her website to check out the recipe.
and then began searching for other variations as well…as with Ree’s she added green peppers and raw onions…and well i don’t like those…
i found Paula Deen’s version…and knew her’s was the one…with some minor adjustments…
voila my chicken spaghetti dish.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 14-ounce organic chicken broth
- 10.75-ounce organic cream of mushroom soup
- 10.75-ounce organic cream of chicken soup
- 1 7-ounce can diced green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 31/2 cups cooked chicken - shredded
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 16-ounce package spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs - panko or Ian's
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender.
- In a LARGE glass bowl, combine sauteed onions, chicken broth, soups, green chilies, plain yogurt and salt. Stir in cooked chicken and shredded cheese. Add pasta, tossing to coat. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly over casserole. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Serve and enjoy.
a tip: put your chicken in the slow cooker before you leave for work in the morning…so then you have cooked chicken ready when preparing this meal for dinner.
dig in and enjoy.